Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Balls up: Vodafone iPhone pre-registration

So I pre-registered for the new iPhone 3G on June 17 through Vodafone, my carrier.

On June 20 I received the following ...

"Hi Ben,

Here at Vodafone, we’re eagerly counting down the days until the launch of the new iPhone 3G - and we bet you are too!

We are keen to make sure that we can give you the very best deals on your new iPhone 3G and we are putting the finishing touches to these offers.So, what next? Since you have taken the time to pre-register, you are now at the front of the line.

We will be rolling out these exciting offers very soon, so make sure to keep an eye on your inbox to stay ahead of the game.

Stocks will be limited so you will need to be quick.

Regards

The Vodafone Direct Deals Team"

Soooo ... the iPhone comes out tomorrow and since June 20 I have received NOTHING from Vodafone.

Maybe they're so busy "eagerly counting down the days until the launch" they have forgotten about the people who have pre-registered.

I have kept"an eye on (my) inbox to stay ahead of the game" to no avail. iPhone launches tomorrow and right now I have no idea whether I can get one.

I don't think Vodafone realises the magnitude of the situation. I work in advertising - to remain smug and self important I need to throw down on the table a 3G iPhone in every meeting, brainstorm, public event and interaction to show that I am, indeed, well versed in the digital space.

Quips aside - I think Vodafone could have handled it all a little better. Why ask people to pre-register and sell the dream of getting special treatment when in reality, you haven't been able to execute anything. I get that the iPhone launch is a big deal and there's probably 20,000 other smug, self important people who may or may not work in advertising that want to be able to strap it next to their belt buckle so catering for demand may be troubling logistically ... but cmon.

Or maybe I take along to my local Vodafone store the above email and demand that I go straight to the front of the line. According to that "you are now at the front of the line."

Bang!

7 comments:

Zac Zavos said...

Well I didn't even get that email when I pre-registered. Nought. Looking at what's happened in the UK, I suspect stocks will go very soon...

nemesis said...

Firstly Shep, I don't think anyone should be smug about strapping anything to their belt buckle (unless of course you are indeed Batman in which case feel free).

Secondly, I too am in your predicament... I personally think it's worse that they are the only carrier to not have revealed their pricing. They were the first to go out there saying they've got the rights and it seems that they've just been patting themselves on the back since then and now find themselves way behind. I'm not exactly going to be rushing out to buy a product without knowing how much it will cost me and comparing prices.

Finally, I'll sell you my generation one for a fair price if you can't wait :)

Ben Shepherd said...

So apparently Voda put the plan prices up then yanked them down.

Got this off Gizmodo - alleged Vodafone staging server link

http://vodafone.2000.au.com/iphone/

These plans look questionable - who would have thought the AU mobile carriers would make the iphone launch a pain in the rear ...

Zac Zavos said...

So I saw that 'staging server' too. I'm not convinced though, as au.com is a generic domain. Secondly, Staging servers are almost never open to the public. Thirdly, why wouldn't they take it down? So I think someone has waaay too much time on their hands...

Other thing about voda is that their NZ pricing is terrible - which has disappointed a lot of people. So no surprise those leaked prices were pretty average too.

Being off contract, I'll certainly be switching to the provider that offers the fairest deal.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shep - Gizmodo has all the Voda plans. Have a look at:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/07/vodafone_puts_iphone_pricing_online_then_pulls_it_down.html

Seems to be a lot of unhappy campers out there. I see a real opportunity for either Optus or Telstra to capitalise here.

You would have thought that Voda's PR machine would have been a bit smarter than this. Yesterday's buzz really goes to show the influencial nature of blogs in Australia, especially those published commercially!!!

jyesmith said...

Did you get your pre-registration email today?

"Hi Jye,

The wait is over! You've pre-registered to be the first to know about our Apple® iPhone™ 3G plans and pricing. And have we got news for you. Right now, you can buy the iPhone 3G on a range of new and exclusive Vodafone plans."

I too, shared your disdain about the silliness of Voda. Now I'm deciding whether to break contract to get the offer. Didn't think far enough ahead. Looks like outright for me.

jyesmith said...

Did you get your pre-registration email today?

"Hi Jye,

The wait is over! You've pre-registered to be the first to know about our Apple® iPhone™ 3G plans and pricing. And have we got news for you. Right now, you can buy the iPhone 3G on a range of new and exclusive Vodafone plans."

I too, shared your disdain about the silliness of Voda. Now I'm deciding whether to break contract to get the offer. Didn't think far enough ahead. Looks like outright for me.